PICK ME! PICK ME!
For these obvious qualifications:
- Impeccable taste in dark chocolate.
- Love of mountains, the ocean, funny people, sarcastic people, random thoughts and fireplaces.
- East Coast survivor (lived in MA and NY). I now ride a horse to work in CO.*
- Video game savant.
- Swoon-worthy husband who is a marathon runner, expert hunter, and Forensic DNA Analyst. He has a flashy agent badge, a conceal-to-carry permit, and has literally caught us dinner before. If zombie apocalypse survival is a priority to you, well. I think you know which mentor to choose.
hackerI mean... I program stuff.
For these actually relevant qualifications:
- Represented by the incomparable Brianne Johnson of Writers House, who found me in an online writing contest much like this one.
- Bri is also one of THE Pitch Wars Agents. Am I conspiring to find my next agency sibling? Yes. Yes I am.
- Debut novel, a YA cyberthriller called DUPLICITY, coming from Macmillan Entertainment in 2015.
- I write both boy and girl POV. DUPLICITY is boy POV. I'm currently polishing a YA fantasy and am about 10k into a YA horror. I have helped many a critique partner with world-building.
- My own work has been through several developmental edits by critique partners and my agent. I've also worked with a freelance editor on a prior novel. I know what to look for, what to leave alone, and how to present editorial notes in a constructive, encouraging fashion.
And the super important stuff goes in paragraph format:
I have done full manuscript critiques for several fellow writers, all of whom I'm happy to say are now agented and/or have book deals. Should I be lucky enough to work with you, expect that I will be 100% honest about the strengths of your work as much as its weaknesses, though always in the interest of preserving your vision. You will have full creative freedom to address my concerns as you see fit. As long as you're willing to address them, we're going to get along just fine.
Please With A Cherry On Top, Send Me:
All genres of YA (with the exception of the few in the list below). I do mean all genres. Fantasy, sci-fi, contemp, historical, etc. I'm drawn to boy POV as much as girl. I love quirky, flawed characters and wacky, unique plots. I have a soft spot for antiheroes, creepy things, magical realism, humor, Twinkies, and psychological anything. Some of my favorite authors are Patrick Ness, Laini Taylor, Maggie Stiefvater, and V.E. Schwab. For titles I love, click here and check out my Recommended Reads. You can also find out more about me on my official bio page and on Twitter. For submission guidelines, click here!
I'm Not Your Best Match For:
High fantasy (elves, kingdoms, etc), war books, political themes, novels-in-verse or romance, though I don't mind romance as a subplot.
You have an amazing story to tell. I have a foot in the door.
LET'S DO THIS.
*Part of this sentence is a slight exaggeration.